As a certifiable copywriting nerd, I always get a little excited when I find a new template or tutorial or example that sparks ideas or offers a new perspective for writing great copy.
That’s why I was jazzed to download a new email template by a copywriting team I admire greatly.
Except… whoa, wait a minute. What is this?
This isn’t an email template. It’s… uh… what? The instruction manual for building a nuclear submarine?
I mean… look at it!
Now, I adore the copywriting team who created these hieroglyphs. And I know they tend to lean towards the analytical and complex. But this is absurd. And… useless.
Because as I dragged this cryptic formula into the trash, I thought…
How did this happen?
When did writing an effective email become a complex trigonometry equation?
How did the simple act of reaching out to connect with another human being become so… mysterious. So perplexing and convoluted that someone felt the need to create an unintelligible formula to figure it out?
Listen, I believe that in order to be successful as an online entrepreneur you have to know (and practice) the basic principles of writing compelling copy that reaches and resonates deeply with your ideal clients.
You need to know how to craft and edit messages that make a difference in your clients’ lives, messages that reflect your understanding of what your client is experiencing. Messages that clearly communicate your unique ability to help your clients solve their problems, lessen their load, and realize their big dreams and goals.
Otherwise, no one is going to give a hoot about what you offer.
But once you know those basics, you don’t need a library of complicated formulas or acronym-filled templates. Not at all!
You just need to get out of your own way and write like you give a damn.
Show up to that empty page with your pure intention and honest desire to let your clients know that you see them, hear them, understand them. That you care about them! Tap into your heartfelt desire to create a connection and offer something that moves your client from where she is now to where she wants to go.
Once you’ve got the basic principles of writing copy, throw away those templates and just do this:
• Show up to the empty page with a clear intention and willingness to express yourself and create a real connection with your client.
• Tap into your Love… the love you have for your work, your message, and your clients. Let that Love lead the way.
• Remember the Rule of One and… jump in!
• Write, write, write like the wind! Write without stopping, without editing, without second-guessing yourself. Write like you give a damn! Open a vein and write!
• Remember the Rule of One (again) and be merciless as you edit your wild, rough draft.
• Then, read your (almost) final draft out loud; you’ll hear what needs to be changed/edited immediately.
No confounding, eye-crossing, headache-inducing template needed.
Just your clear intention, your open heart, and your willingness to get real, be honest, and use your words to serve your client well.
Go for it.